Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Why I Go to Star Island

I never thought I would be a "camp" person. It was not part of my childhood to go to camp.  I only made my first s'more a couple years ago. But now I have a family that goes to a camp, and Unitarian Universalism is why.

When I took on work as a Religious Educator, and did not know diddly about how to do the work of administering an R.E. program, I was lucky enough to have guidance from the former DRE.  She told me about Star Island and encouraged me to go.  She even asked the Board to let me use her extra professional development funds, which made it possible!  A terrific gift.

So my children and I trundled off to the coast of New Hampshire and headed off on the boat to Star.  I admit, I was nervous!  That melted away very quickly as we were welcomed into the traditions and community of Star Island.  I took a morning and afternoon workshops, which helped me learn how to start my job in the fall, and heard an amazing daily lecture by one of our leading theologians, Rev. Dr. Thandeka.  The rest of the day was filled with fun, relaxation and conversations.  Yes, my head was full of learning, but what really makes me go back each year to Star is the community.

My kids LOVE being at Star!  It is the highlight of our year.  We all have made fantastic friends- adult and children, with whom we stay connected during the year.  We play music, act in the talent show, sing, worship, play games, act silly, eat great food and sit in quiet soaking up the beauty of nature.

Star Island is unique for its true multi-generational community.  For one week a year, I feel complete trust in all the adults who will be around my kids.  During Religious Education week, the participants are mostly other DRE's and RE teachers!  These are very open hearted people who are so kind and sharing.  It feel like all ages have an important place, a necessary voice and everyone matters.

I hope you will consider going to Star Island LRE Week, July 16-23, or another camp. If you do want to go- let me know, because we can both save 10% on our room and board!  I am not sharing this info just to get a discount. One might think that my family would have enough of UU religious education during the year, but each January, we start counting the days till RE Week!  The combination of new growth and community and an opportunity to deepen our faith brings us back every summer.

Please Join Us!

No comments:

Post a Comment